Sr. Associate Legal - Partnerships
Submitted by indiacontact on 20 January 2020
The vision of International Justice Mission (“IJM”) is to protect impoverished people from violent forces of injustice by working collaboratively with the government to secure their rescue and restoration.
The Sr. Associate - Legal leads the capacity strengthening efforts for the casework partners of IJM. This position is responsible to provide high quality training and litigation skills to equip the partner and effectively lead legal proceedings for cases of bonded labor, human trafficking and related crimes, working with both government and court systems. The role involves research and writing extensively on issues of procedure, evidence and substantive law, and train other power actors on the Bonded Labor laws and Acts relevant to the work of IJM.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation:
- Lead partner team in use of relevant laws and procedures related to bonded labor, human trafficking, SC/ST issues etc.
- Build capacity of partner lawyers and local counsel to empower the criminal justice system to bring criminals to justice and protect victim rights in bonded labor cases.
Networking & Partnership:
- Engage state authorities such as DC, AC SALSA, SHRC, Labor department, other relevant agencies to champion the cause of Bonded Labor;
- Create a sustainable network of local counsels.
- Work collaboratively with larger team at partner organization and IJM towards building sustainable partnership.
Policies and Procedures:
- Assist in developing best practice documents based on casework experience
- Draft legal procedural manuals for internal as well as external purposes.
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management:
- Document and report information required for program analysis and M&E.
- Provide timely, concise and thorough written reports of all activities;
- Draft and review contracts, MoUs
- Design tools to monitor the work of Partner’s legal team
- Provide leadership in preparing written briefs, memoranda and arguments for various courts with well-researched authorities;
- Data management as required by IJM and agreed with partner.
- Visit police station or other government office to support the enquiry process and 161 statements and support partner to do this independently.
- Manage multiple cases through partner lawyers and local counsel in various jurisdictions simultaneously;
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in law
- 2-3 years’ experience in providing legal representation to victims in criminal trials and assisting prosecution would be preferred
- Experience in training NGOs, government officials, police etc., including designing trainings.
- Experience in human trafficking, labor laws etc. is highly desirable.
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong time management skills
- Experience in working with MS Office and data entry
- Ability to draft legal documents.
- Proficient in oral and written communication in Kannada and English. Knowledge of other regional languages will be an asset.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout Karnataka and outside as needed.
Send Job Application Form, Resume, Samples & Cover Letter
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.