Advocate – Retainer
Submitted by Anonymous on 13 June 2017
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking a professional advocate to manage and litigate an active caseload of criminal cases throughout India. The successful candidate will research and write extensively on issues of procedure, evidence and substantive law, and train partners and other stakeholders on the Bonded Labour laws and Acts relevant to the work of IJM across the country. The position is based out of IJM Delhi Office and requires significant travel throughout India.
- Fully understand the laws and procedures related to labour laws especially bonded labour, anti-trafficking laws, criminal procedure and other relevant laws.
- Build capacity of partner lawyers and local counsel to empower the criminal justice system to bring criminals to justice and protect victim rights in bonded labour cases.
- Train lawyers of NGO partners to assist police and prosecution;
- Provide leadership in preparing written briefs, memoranda and arguments for various courts with well-researched authorities;
- Manage multiple cases through partner lawyers and local counsel in various jurisdictions simultaneously;
- Write research pieces and opinion pieces, and build a brand for the cause and the organisation;
- Create a sustainable network of local counsel
- Provide training to other non-governmental organisations, prosecutors and police and government officials as required;
- Create training methodology
- Draft legal procedural manuals for internal as well as external purposes.
- Draft and review contracts, MoUs
- Design tools to monitor the work of Partner’s legal team
- Provide timely, concise and thorough written reports of all activities; Manage time and resources effectively;
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information;
- Comply with all laws and ethical cannons;
- Carry out an additional portfolio of assignments given by the Director.
- Always professional
- Honest in every situation
- Consistently cooperative
- Serves others at any opportunity
- Displays team spirit, seeking to be a positive and cohesive influence
- Consistently punctual and genuinely reliable
- Demonstrates good stewardship of time and resources
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or beyond
- Relevant work experience
- Minimum 2 years criminal litigation experience
- Experience in providing legal representation to victims in criminal trials and assisting prosecution would be preferred
- Training experience would also be preferred
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite Software, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi; regional languages a plus
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities
- Mature judgment and good interpersonal skills
- Professional in demeanor, written and oral communication
- Works well under stress and sustained positive attitude
- Strong ethic of service and a passion for IJM’s goals
- Willingness to travel extensively
Send resume and cover letter by email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.