Submitted by indiacontact on 30 September 2020
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
Overview: The Legal Consultant will use research and analytical skills for completion of the team’s outcomes in terms of legal research, and transform them into focused, documented, comprehensive research.
Key Result Areas:
The success of this role is measured by key result areas which are listed below:
- The Consultant will conduct legal research in support of Lead Legal SR interventions and towards ‘casework excellence’ in alignment to the program goals.
- Develop, train and explore various knowledge management tools required for the case work.
- Collate, analyze and publish findings of the research;
- Present the research work of IJM at appropriate fora;
- Conduct legal review of internal publications and memos and provide a legal opinion.
- Write papers and review documents.
Policies and Procedures:
- Participate in and contribute to the overall research efforts at IJM.
- Provide legal opinion on issues of law.
- Provide legal opinion on whether a case is fit for appeal
- Review internal and external agreements and policies.
Training and Development:
- Preparing an orientation methodology for research interns and fellows.
- Conducting orientation for research interns and fellows
- Preparing training materials for stakeholders which may include manuals, memos and power point presentations.
- Writing papers, articles on existing research for publishing in journals and online platforms.
- Seek out platforms that enhance IJM’s knowledge database and credibility
- Training support
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management:
- Develop and maintain a data repository for IJM’s legal knowledge, information, research, court applications, correspondence, processes and experience, designed to enable sharing content within the organization and with external partners, and stakeholders
- Train and educate team members, up to and including senior leaders, on how to manage relevant knowledge using established tools and procedures.
- Explore existing web-based options to enable information sharing and networking.
- Develop and implement the framework for the assigned research projects
- Conduct litigation-based research on substantive and procedural domestic law.
- Collate and analyze existing research.
- Other administrative and research assignments as may arise.
Required Skills and Experience:
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Law
- Research skills and familiarity with Indian Legal research databases
- Ability to use online Legal research tools
- Knowledge of Office and Excel
- Strong research skills
- Problem solving skills, adopting “out of the box” methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Team work
- Strong work ethic
- Planning and organizing