Director of Operations
Submitted by indiacontact on 07 June 2018
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced leader with a strong professional background in program development and management, to serve as Director of Operations, Mumbai. The Director of Operations, Mumbai will work closely with the Regional Director of North India to ensure the field office achieves its goals. In particular, he/she will be responsible for collaborating with the government and civil society to rescue victims of trafficking, facilitate their rehabilitation back into society, secure perpetrator accountability under the law and help the government in building a safe future that lasts. This position will be based out of Mumbai and will report to the Regional Director of North India. It will require frequent travel to visit IJM offices and partner sites throughout India
- Lead the Field Office (FO) team in collaborating with government and other civil society organisations to rescue, protect and provide tangible relief and restoration to victims of abuse, bring perpetrators to account under the law, and to ensure that public justice systems work effectively and sustainably protect the poor from abuse
- Work with the Regional Director to mentor the Field Office (FO) department heads, and other FO staff as required in all aspects of their work, including leadership, strategy development, project development and management, budget management, and personnel management and training
- Work with the Regional Director to ensure all FO staff, interns, fellows and volunteers have a clear understanding of IJM’s mission, operational values, global vision, and FO program, objectives and strategic goals
- Represent IJM’s programs before government organisations, non-governmental organisations, media outlets, and other stakeholders and audiences
- Coordinate closely with Field Office leaders in other IJM offices in India to maximise impact of IJM programs, strengthen key relationships and ensure consistency in policies and strategies across IJM offices in India
- Manage the daily operations of the FO
- Work closely with the FO’s program leaders to ensure accomplishment of the FO’s project goals and other strategic objectives as agreed upon with the Regional Director for North India
- Ensure that the FO adheres to all organisational policies, procedures, and deadlines
- Ensure that the FO operates within its budget
- Regularly report the progress of FO programs using organisation templates and timelines
- Manage FO department heads, and other FO personnel as required, including periodic goal setting, performance review and conflict resolution
- Ensure that FO personnel have clearly defined job descriptions and performance objectives, their performance is monitored, that appropriate job performance feedback is regularly provided, and that compensation levels are appropriate
- In collaboration with the Regional Director and regional security staff, ensure the security of all operations and IJM personnel, maintain compliance with IJM’s security policies and report to IJM leadership on security matters as they develop
- Ensure that the design, development and implementation of justice sector projects are supportive of IJM’s mission and in line with IJM’s core strategies, justice policy, and justice program framework
- Ensure the formulation of innovative program design that addresses major obstacles to justice for the poor
- Ensure proper monitoring of FO projects such that FO activities lead to the accomplishment of all project goals
- Ensure development of FO project documentation, including concept notes, proposals, baseline terms of reference and budgets
- Ensure management of casework and justice sector project or projects that have been approved for execution by the FO
- Support efforts to ensure adequate funding for FO programs from both private and institutional donors
- Establish cooperative relationships with local, national, and international public justice professionals, police and prosecution personnel, government leaders, and NGO leaders to advance the FO’s objectives
- Host visits by IJM guests, teams, interns, fellows and volunteers
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Regional Director for North India
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least five years’ experience designing, monitoring and evaluating international development programs; or five years’
experience designing strategies and processes to achieve aggressive goals.
- A program development professional with a strong knowledge of justice sector issues, or an experienced manager.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in successfully leading and managing teams of professionals; a proven ability to supervise the work of lawyers, social workers, and other professionals and managers strongly preferred.
- Significant experience working within the justice sector preferred.
- Experience managing a departmental budget or comparable financial management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, coordinate, and build relationships with governments, NGO’s and media.
- Demonstrated diplomacy in professional and cross-cultural settings.
- Fluency in English and Hindi (oral and written); Marathi language skills preferred.
- Professional demeanor and communication skills.
- Mature judgment and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Works well under stress and sustains a positive attitude.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Willing to take initiative.
- Strong ethic of service and passion for IJM’s mission to bring justice to the poor,