Director of Operations
Submitted by indiacontact on 04 December 2018
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced leader with a strong professional background & capabilities in leadership and office/ large team management, to serve as Director of Operations, Delhi. The Director of Operations, Delhi will work closely with the Regional Director to ensure the field office achieves its goals, in particular, to collaborate with government and civil society in rescuing victims of trafficking, facilitating their rehabilitation back into society, securing perpetrator accountability under the law and helping government build a safe future that lasts. This position is based out of Delhi and reports to the Regional Director.
- Lead the Field Office (FO) teams in collaborating with government and other civil society organizations to rescue, protect and provide tangible relief and restoration to victims of abuse, bring perpetrators to justice under the law, and to ensure that public justice systems effectively and sustainably protect the poor from targeted abuses.
- Cast vision in alignment with the Global Vision, Mission & Strategy and Program of the organization.
- Oversee and Mentor the Field Office (FO), project heads department heads, and other FO staff as required in all aspects of their work, including leadership, strategy development, project development and management, budget management, and personnel management and training.
- Ensure all FO staff, interns, fellows and volunteers have a clear understanding of IJM’s mission, core values, global vision, and FO program, objectives and strategic goals.
- Foster a team mindset and culture in the office and inspire the team to be effective and efficient and to pursue excellence.
- Represent IJM’s programs before local governments, non-governmental organizations, media outlets, and other stakeholders and audiences.
- Coordinate closely with Field Office leaders in other IJM offices in India & abroad to maximize impact of IJM programs, strength of key relationships and consistency in policies and strategies across IJM offices in India.
- Develop a leadership development culture to create and sustain a strong second line leadership in the office.
- Manage ethos, values, processes and policies towards the daily operations of the FO.
- Work closely with the Program Manager and FO’s program leaders to ensure accomplishment of the FO’s project goals and other strategic objectives as agreed upon with the Regional Director.
- Ensure that the FO adheres to all organizational policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to ensure that the FO operates within its budget with efficiency and proactivity.
- Regularly report the progress of FO programs using organization templates and timelines.
- Manage FO department heads, and other FO personnel as required, including periodic goal setting, performance review and conflict resolution.
- Work closely with HR Director to ensure that FO personnel have clearly defined job descriptions and performance objectives, their performance is monitored, that appropriate job performance feedback is regularly provided, and that compensation levels are appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Regional Director and regional security staff, ensure the security of all operations and IJM personnel, maintaining compliance with IJM’s security policies and reporting to IJM leadership on security matters as they develop.
- Work closely with the Communication Manager to ensure the office and the organization’s work is well messaged ensuring quality and global branding guidelines are followed.
- Create synergies with Thought Leadership Director in Delhi and other FOs to mainstream the organization’s theory of change.
- Work closely with the Program Manager to ensure the design, development and implementation of justice sector projects are supportive of IJM’s mission and in line with IJM’s core strategies, justice policy, and justice program framework.
- Ensure the formulation of innovative program design that addresses major obstacles to justice for the poor.
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation Director to ensure proper monitoring of FO projects such that FO activities lead to the accomplishment of all project goals.
- Ensure development of FO project documentation, including concept notes, proposals, baseline terms of reference and budgets.
- Support efforts to ensure adequate funding for FO programs from both private and institutional donors.
- Establish cooperative relationships with local, national, and international public justice professionals, police and prosecution personnel, government leaders, and NGO leaders to advance the FO’s objectives.
- Work closely with the office leaders to host and manage visits and terms by IJM guests, teams, interns, fellows and volunteers.
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Regional Director.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- This position is based in Delhi but will require frequent travel to visit IJM’s offices and partner sites throughout India and the occasional travel abroad.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A program development professional with a natural flair for leadership, strong knowledge of justice sector issues and experienced manager.
- Graduate/Post Graduate from a recognized Indian University. Post graduate studies in Management preferable.
- At least five years’ experience designing, monitoring and evaluating international development programs; or five years’ experience designing strategies and processes to achieve aggressive goals.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in successfully leading and managing teams of professionals; a proven capability to supervise the work of lawyers, social workers, and other (including Media and PR) professionals and managers strongly preferred.
- Experience managing a office/departmental budget or comparable financial management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, coordinate, and build relationships with governments, NGOs, Media organizations and local and global institutions
- Demonstrated diplomacy in professional and cross-cultural settings.
- Fluency in English and Hindi (oral and written); Regional language skills will be valuable.
- Inspirational Leader
- Servant Leader and People Developer
- Professional demeanor and communication skills
- Mature judgment and excellent interpersonal skills
- Works well under stress and sustains a positive attitude
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to be dispassionate
- Willing to take initiative & risks
- Strong ethic of service and passion for IJM’s mission to bring justice to the poor