Director of Finance, IJM India
Submitted by indiacontact on 05 December 2018
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a fast-growing organization working to protect some of the most vulnerable and oppressed people from violent forces of injustice by securing rescue and restoration for victims and ensuring public justice systems work for the poor. IJM is seeking a talented leader to ensure the prudent & efficient functioning of finance for IJM India. This position leads a team of high calibre field-based and outsourced staff who monitor, train and support field offices to ensure stewardship, accountability, partnership management and compliance. This position will report to the National Director of Business Solutions.
- Work closely with National Director of Business Solutions to build out finance infrastructure. Assess, develop, recommend and execute the strategy and structure for effective national finance practices
- Lead an agile matrixed team across the nation to follow and maintain international standards for financial compliance.
- Provide leadership and financial oversight by establishing, and monitoring policies.
- Create systems & processes for the efficient upkeep of IJM’s assets by establishing, monitoring and introducing internal controls.
- Maximize return and limits risk on cash by minimizing cash balances.
- Provide assessment on financial risks and opportunities to strengthen IJM.
- Be up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Manage budget and controls expenses effectively. Supports management with budget forecasting. Provide recommendations and implement improvements in financial management process.
- Maintain and improve upon robust set of controls that support IJM’s global and national standards.
- Support IJM’s legal registration and requirements for all local entities. Advise management on changes in requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement for internal controls and grants financial management for its India offices and sustain legal compliances in financial matters.
- Identify opportunities for process enhancement and partner with others to achieve efficiencies; Research and analyse accounting matters and positions.
- Coordinate the budgeting strategy and process as per budget guidelines.
- Supervise Accounting for IJM in India including Grant Management and Fundraising; Partnership Finance Management; Advise; oversight of foreign exchange transactions; month and year end closing and other reporting requirements.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation and filing financial reports. Prepare annual financial statements. Advise on management of actions and potential risks.
- Process and disburse and manage payments and maintain books of accounts as required.
- Ensure regulatory compliance with national, state and local requirements consulting with outside advisors and filing financial reports and returns. Advise management of actions and potential risks.
- In consultation with National Director of Business Solutions and IJM Global practices to maintain and improve on the results of the compliance audits (internal and/or external).
- Lead/Support FO Fraud Investigations
- Ensure alignment of partnership budgets between offices, projects and grants.
- Hire, train, develop and appraise staff effectively. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Consult with HR as appropriate.
- Work with field offices to identify specific training needs to increase financial literacy amongst all IJM staff and partners. And build training plan to improve financial knowledge and management with office accountants.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Skills and Experience:
- CA or CFA or MBA in Accounting or Finance;
- 7-10 years’ experience in the accounting sector, with at least three years’ experience in leading teams’ in a global setup;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven experience successfully supervising a team of accounting professionals;
- Proven capacity to accurately and objectively evaluate the effectiveness of strategies towards achieving desired outcomes
- Experience of Tally, QuickBooks or any other accounting software is a plus
- Willingness to travel frequently to other field offices in India.
- Exceptional oral and written communication;
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles, financial systems, budget/cash flow monitoring and internal accounting controls.
- Ability to establish, grow and preserve trust between diverse stakeholders;
- Diplomatic in building consensus to achieve cross-organizational objectives;
- Articulate communicator, able to make finance and accounting concepts and processes clear to fellow finance professionals and non-finance personnel alike;
- Ability to leverage technology and tools to achieve objectives;
- Additional competencies include: financial management; strategic thinking; business acumen; ethical conduct, performance management.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.