Submitted by indiacontact on 26 October 2018
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an Advocate to join the Legal team to manage and litigate an active caseload of criminal cases in Mumbai. The advocate must research and write extensively on issues of procedure, evidence and substantive law. The advocate must work with stakeholders. This position is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra and requires periodic travel throughout India. This position reports to the Associate Director of Casework
- Casework & Structural Reforms
- Participate in rescue operations of girls in commercial sexual exploitation and recommend to the police on procedural and substantive law, victim rights and other legal issues that may arise.
- Fully understand the relevant laws and procedures.
- Conduct legal research and prepare written briefs used to develop case strategy and ensure current strategy complies with the law.
- Develop and implement litigation plans for each case.
- Represent all IJM case proceedings including bail hearings, pre-trial hearings, custody hearings, trial proceedings and appeal and assist the public prosecutor when required.
- Draft applications, petitions and closing arguments to support the public prosecutor in IJM cases and other referral cases.
- Relationship with Stakeholders
- Advise and train government authorities, aftercare homes and other partners on legal issues related to commercial sexual exploitation.
- Initiate and attend regular meetings with public prosecutors.
- Provide timely, concise and thorough written reports of all activities.
- Assist in preparing stories regarding IJM’s casework for internal and external communications.
- Participate in case management meetings and legal team meetings.
- Carry out additional assignments and tasks as required by the Legal Director.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Law school graduate.
- Relevant experience preferred. .
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite Software, and Windows 2000/XP..
- Self-motivated, articulate and ability to manage multiple tasks..
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, Hindi and Marathi..
- Organized, meticulous attention to detail and disciplined with priorities. .
- Personable and mature judgment..