Research and Advocacy Associate
Submitted by indiacontact on 26 October 2018
The vision of International Justice Mission (“IJM”) is to protect poor people from violent forces of injustice by working collaboratively with the government to secure their rescue and restoration.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking a Research and Advocacy Associate to join the Research and Development Team in conducting research on ongoing casework and trends in the system. The Research and Advocacy associate would also require to liaise with partners and stakeholders with the understanding of existing laws, schemes and suggest areas of possible intervention at policy level. This position is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra and requires periodic travel throughout India. This position reports to the Director of Strategy and Implementation.
- Casework & Structural Reforms
- Fully understand the relevant laws, procedures and policies.
- Research relevant issues and write briefs that will assist in rescuing and protecting victims of trafficking and forced labor.
- Research, gather, analyse and compile the knowledge necessary for the Project to function effectively and remain conversant with the latest changes in law and policy.
- Conduct legal research and prepare written briefs used to develop case strategy and ensure current strategy complies with the law.
- Assist in developing best practice documents based on casework experience.
- Participate in rescue operations of girls in commercial sexual exploitation and recommend to the police on procedural and substantive law, victim rights and other legal issues that may arise.
- Assist with legal training sessions.
- Participate in legal strategy meetings.
- Develop and implement litigation plans for case.
- Represent all IJM case proceedings including bail hearings, pre-trial hearings, custody hearings, trial proceedings and appeal and assist the public prosecutor when required.
- Draft applications, petitions and closing arguments to support the public prosecutor in IJM cases and other referral cases.
- Develop strategy for policy & advocacy at national and state level in India;
- Lead research and data analysis for landscape assessments related to policy and advocacy interventions
- Conduct research and prepare background information for advocacy, decisions, meetings, and other outreach;
- Provide timely, concise and thorough written reports of all activities
- Participate in Research and Advocacy meetings and Legal team meetings.
- Carry out additional assignments and tasks as required by the Director of Strategy and Implementation
Required Skills and Experience:
- Masters in Law/Public Policy/Social Work
- Relevant research and/or advocacy experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite Software, and Windows 2000/XP.
- Self-motivated, articulate and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, Hindi and Marathi.
- Organized, meticulous attention to detail and disciplined with priorities.
- Personable and mature judgment.