Director of Strategy and Implementation
Submitted by indiacontact on 26 October 2018
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
With a vision to end impunity by 2030, International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced leader with a strong professional background in developing robust strategies and management of the program cycle. The Director of Strategies and Implementation, Mumbai will work closely with the Regional Director-North India to ensure the planning, implementation, and controlling program activities along with efficient monitoring and evaluation techniques. This position is based in Mumbai and reports to the Regional Director-North India
- Leadership-Strategies and Programs
- Design robust program strategy to scale up and widen program reach.
- Scan macro environment to capture core insights for outcome driven sustainable programs.
- Develop and implement new initiatives to support the mission of the organization.
- Develop on long term and short-term goals for timely program deliverables.
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the program.
- Structure the monitoring and evaluation of the project deliverables
- Align, network and represent IJM’s programs before government organizations, non-governmental organizations, media outlets, and other stakeholders and audiences.
- Coordinate closely with leaders in other IJM offices in India to maximize impact of IJM programs, strength of key relationships and consistency in policies and strategies across IJM offices in India.
- Equip teams to develop annual work plans, ensuring clear prioritization of
activities/initiatives that are aligned to the three-year strategy
- Manage the division budget, equipping leaders with information to make strategic
decisions and ensuring resources are aligned to strategic priorities
- Ensure and monitor execution of division objectives within allocated budget; provide
agile system for re-allocating resources within the budget for highest priority needs
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the division’s strategy, including developing
and reporting on key performance indicators
- Produce quarterly reports for board review and to ensure transparency of progress
against goals for leadership decision-making
- Work closely with the office’s JS leaders to ensure accomplishment of the project goals and other strategic objectives as agreed upon with the Regional Director for North India.
- Equip the leadership team to make well-informed, strategic decisions to best
achieve annual objectives aligned with division strategy
- Manage content and meeting rhythms for the Leadership Team in partnership
with the Program Manager
- Develop, implement, and provide leadership to processes that will enable the division to
run in a predictable and efficient manner as new opportunities arise. Regularly report the progress of the programs using organization templates and timelines.
- Ensure that all program staff receive appropriate orientation to the program.
- Relationship Building
- Establish cooperative relationships with local, national, and international public justice professionals, police and prosecution personnel, government leaders, and NGO leaders to advance the office’s objectives.
- Host visits by IJM guests, teams, interns, fellows and volunteers.
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Regional Director for North India.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Travel Requirements
- This position is based in Mumbai but will require frequent travel to visit IJM’s offices and partner sites throughout India.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Relevant work experience with a strong knowledge of justice sector issues, or an experienced manager.
- At least seven years’ experience designing, monitoring and evaluating program or projects; or five years’ experience designing strategies and processes to achieve aggressive goals.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in successfully leading and managing teams of professionals;
- Experience working within the justice sector preferred.
- Experience managing a departmental budget or comparable financial management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, coordinate, and build relationships with governments, NGO’s and media.
- Demonstrated diplomacy in professional and cross-cultural settings.
- Fluency in English and Hindi (oral and written); Marathi language skills preferred.
- Professional demeanor and communication skills
- Mature judgment and excellent interpersonal skills
- Works well under stress and sustains a positive attitude
- Creative problem-solver
- Willing to take initiative
- Strong ethic of service and passion for IJM’s mission to bring justice to the poor