Security Manager, South Asia
Submitted by Anonymous on 28 March 2017
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength and helping local law enforcement to build a safe future that lasts.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced Security Manager to provide technical leadership in regional security management. The South Asia Regional Security Manager will assist IJM Field Offices to embed sound security practices to enhance the safety and security of IJM staff, assets and programs, and minimise operational risks. The South Asia Regional Security Manager position will provide dedicated safety and security expertise and support in the South Asia region that is in the best interest of IJM global security strategy, leadership, and individual staff members. The South Asia Regional Security Manager is expected to provide safety and security expertise and standards application across the IJM programs throughout the South Asia region, to include but not limited to: risk assessment and analysis, risk treatment plans, contingency plans, monitoring and evaluation, training and development, incident management, policy implementation, and strategic innovation, This position reports to the Global Director of Security in Washington DC.
To be negotiated
Lead Field Office Security Strategy
- Review, revise and implement comprehensive security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Field Offices, including evacuation and contingency plans for each office;
- Conduct regular and ongoing reviews and inspections of current security procedures, policies and systems;
- Collaborate with field office and regional leadership to ensure Regional and Field Office security strategies appropriately support IJM program priorities;
- Create a regional risk assessment and risk mitigation plans, monitor systems, and evaluate the consequences of risk and risk mitigation measures;
- Monitor change in context across the region and triggers for mitigation;
- Develop, from conception to implementation, a community acceptance strategy framework that can be applied across the region;
- Oversee and coordinate country security plan updates, ensuring countries maintain realistic and current risk assessments, mitigation measures, and emergency action plans;
- Ensure that risk assessments for new projects and emergency response locations are conducted accurately and timely;
- Identify training opportunities for regional and country staff, and ensure staff have adequate time to engage in appropriate level training opportunities; and
- Provide in-country surge capacity for fields when required.
Threat Analysis & Response
- Evaluate current political, social and climatic conditions for possible threats to the safety and security of Field Office staff;
- Provide guidance and leadership to field office staff, including recommendations for the safety, security and protection of staff at all times;
- Provide technical oversight and strong support to the country security managers / focal points;
- Train, coach and mentor staff at all levels on integrated security and leadership development in order to strengthen their skills in their own professional area. This will contribute to the goal of mainstreaming / integrating security management into all project designs, country strategies, and departmental policies and procedures;
- Lead an internal regional security focal point network for the purpose of coaching, peer support and personal development;
- Represent IJM externally and in interagency forums; and
- Support the Global Director of Corporate Security in the implementation of Security and Threat Assessments using standard tools and processes, as and when needed.
Operational Support & Crisis Management
- Ensure security of IJM staff and clients, ensure implementation of all security protocols;
- Establish and monitor office access control mechanisms for IJM premises;
- Assist in the selection/supervision of office guards, where relevant;
- Ensure compliance with fire regulations and train office staff in fire/building evacuation plans;
- Provide on-the-ground leadership in response to critical incidents in the region, and provide input to office and regional leadership on crisis management;
- Provide on-the-ground leadership during potential security risks and threats arising from changing political, social or economic contexts where IJM field offices are located;
- Monitor national and regional security incident reporting and ensure appropriate dissemination of information during emergencies;
- Manage security requirements for special events, including Trips to the Field visits by donors, VIPs, etc;
- Provide early warning updates and mitigation expertise to the country offices;
- Manage the incident impact on the region;
- Support the Global Security Director and Country Directors with incident response, reporting and post-incident action and follow-up;
- Conduct yearly drills and scenario exercises to build incident response capacities in the field;
- Lend expertise to country security managers during and after incident; and
- Maintain updated staff lists, including details of visitors and consultants.
- Train field office staff in security strategies and operational and travel protocols;
- Ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into all IJM programming in the region; and
- Facilitate communication to ensure field office staff are equipped with adequate knowledge, tools and resources to comply with security protocols and best practices throughout the region.
IJM Internal Coordination
- Liaise with Field Office Director, Regional HQ team and Global Director of Corporate Security to provide regular reporting and updates on security issues in the region.
- After an initial probationary period of 6 months, this position will require approximately 3 weeks of travel to IJM’s field offices in South Asia per year.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in managing security operations, preferably for non-profit or foreign-based organizations;
- Experience in security guard supervision preferable;
- Experience in VIP protection preferable;
- Expertise in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability in South Asia Region;
- Experience in crisis management preferred;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Fluency in oral and written communication in English; and
- Competent in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.