Regional Accounting Manager, South Asia
Submitted by Anonymous on 23 May 2017
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength and helping local law enforcement to build a safe future that lasts.
IJM is seeking a high caliber leader and accounting manager to provide financial oversight of and leadership to its field offices in South Asia. Key objectives include ensuring all South Asia revenue and expenditures are accurately and completely reflected in consolidated IJM financial statements on a timely basis each month; field offices adhere to global IJM finance standards and best practices while complying with national, state and local statues and regulations; US GAAP is followed, clean audits are secured; field office finance staff are trained and developed to support these objectives. Successful candidates will also have opportunity play a critical role as a subject matter expert in the roll-out of a new ERP system to field offices. Finally, the Regional Accounting Manager will work closely with IJM HQ and South Asia field offices to secure and sustain operations as a Section 8 company with permanent FCRA status. As part of the HQ International Finance Team, this position will report to the Senior Manager, Field Office Finance at IJM’s Headquarters in the Washington, DC area. Regionally the position will also have a dotted reporting line to South Asia leadership – National Director of Business Operations/India Regional Director(s).
Delhi/To be negotiated
Field Office Accounting
• Provide technical support through regular email, chat and phone interaction with field offices on regulatory compliance, accounting policies & procedures, financial systems, grant compliance;
• Visit each field office at least twice yearly to observe finance controls and provide training;
• Act as backup for field office accounting staff during extended absences or vacancies;
• Lead field offices in establishing and improving best practices to optimize finance performance.
• Serve as subject matter expert for IJM’s ERP project, ensuring South Asia field office requirements are satisfied by the system; and assist in implementation of ERP system in Region’s Field Offices.
• Assist in recruiting field office finance staff including reviewing CV’s, interviewing and providing input as to the final decision;
• Assist in establishing new field offices including setting up QuickBooks, bank accounts, internal controls;
• Conduct South Asia Regional Finance Conference in consultation with Senior Manager, Field Office Finance.
South Asia/IJM HQ Liaison
• Liaise with IJM consultant Mahesh Kumar & Co. concerning registration, banking, Provident Fund, taxation and related matters; keep the Senior Manager, Field Office Finance and South Asia Leadership fully informed on same;
• As assigned by the Senior Manager, Field Office Finance, assist with Section-8 registration initiative;
• Act as liaison between HQ and field offices regarding key finance areas including policy & procedure development, training material & strategy development, compliance/risk management, staff development, registration & taxes, banking, etc.
• Request operating funds from HQ on behalf of South Asia offices, transfer funds to office bank accounts, process any payments, accounting entries and reports as needed;
• Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings as needed;
• Maintain IJM-India Sec-8 Company’s and India Liaison Office’s books of accounts;
• Prepare reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies as appropriate/required;
• Keep abreast of regulatory developments internally/externally to ensure compliance.
• Interpret implications of changes in regulations and legislation as they apply to financial operation of Sec-8 Company, advice IJM HQ Finance of any entity accounting implications.
• Proactively keep abreast of all statutes and regulations affecting South Asia field offices, lead the offices’ finance staff in establishing and improving processes to ensure 100% compliance;
• Assist field office accountants in creating and monitoring a development plan in collaboration with Field Office Directors/Directors of Operations. Provide training to field office accountants and other staff on needed areas including policies & procedures, stewardship, grant compliance, QuickBooks, audit compliance, etc.
• Facilitate independent audits of field offices as directed and ensure auditor recommendations are acted upon, all findings are resolved;
• Observe and evaluate field office internal controls and compliance with IJM finance policies by conducting onsite visits, performing reviews of monthly packets and providing remedial training and coaching as needed to improve adherence to standards;
• Assist in investigations of suspected fraud and support fraud detection and prevention.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, certified accountant preferred;
• Minimum four years accounting experience with an NGO, including hands-on accounting, financial analysis, regulatory compliance and budget management;
• Thorough understanding of US GAAP;
• Proficiency with accounting software, Microsoft Office, SharePoint;
• Excellent oral and written English and Hindi;
• Experience handling registration and tax requirements in South Asia;
• ERP experience a plus.
• Highest level of integrity and honesty;
• Exceptional ability to self-manage, keep direct manager fully informed.
• Ability to motivate and encourage field office finance staff;
• Meticulous attention to detail;
• Ability to leverage technology and tools to achieve team objectives; and
• Creative and energetic problem solver.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.